The Revenge of Jim Jones

"Jim Jones," traditional song, 19th century; Jim Jones, found guilty by a jury in England, sent to Australia to toil in a penal colony at Botany Bay, vows revenge against the "tyrants" and "floggers" that put him in "chains." 

Now it's day and night and the irons clangAnd like poor galley slavesWe toil and toil, and when we dieMust fill dishonored gravesAnd it's by and by I'll slip my chainsWell, into the bush I'll goAnd I'll join the bravest rankers thereJack Donohue and coAnd some dark night, when everythingIs silent in the townI'll shoot those tyrants one and allI'll gun the floggers downOh, I'll give the land a little shockRemember what I sayAnd they'll yet regret they've sent Jim JonesIn chains to Botany Bay

Bob Dylan "Jim Jones" (appears on Good as I Been to You, 1992)

No comments:

Post a Comment